This gluten free pizza is served with a meat crust topped with tender mushrooms, colorful spinach, and bubbly mozzarella cheese.
It’s 5 Ingredient Friday, and this week I’m serving a meat crust pizza. I’m skipping the typical pizza dough in favor of a gigantic Italian seasoned ground turkey patty.
I’m not doing this for any particular reason, other than the fact that it sounded like fun. (Well, maybe because I love pizza crusts and won’t stop at one piece.)
Otherwise, we’re not on any particular diet plan and don’t need to eat gluten free.
This super easy 5 ingredient pizza was also super easy to make. I sauteed a container of sliced mushrooms in one of my favorite nonstick skillets, then tossed in a package of baby spinach. After a quick wilt, the mushrooms and spinach were set aside, and a gigantic ball of ground turkey was pressed into the same pan then roasted in the oven.
After the meat crust had cooked, it was transferred to a baking sheet to finish off with pizza sauce, veggies, and mozzarella cheese.
I have to say I’m a fan of meat crust pizzas. I didn’t feel overstuffed by the end of the meal and had plenty of room for salad. I suppose this dish should really be called a “meat pie” but I like “meat crust pizza” better, and since it’s my recipe I suppose I can call it anything I’d like.
Shake It Up!
Mr. Mike isn’t much for ground turkey, he would have preferred ground beef. Next time I make a meat crust for a pizza pie I’ll use extra lean ground beef and add a tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
Before I head off to work this lovely Friday morning, I want to remind you if you’re a US resident you can sign up to win two free coupons for Pet and Gerry’s organic eggs. We draw a winner on Monday, September 12, 2016.
Have a terrific weekend! The weather looks to be pretty amazing here in Snohomish, Washington.
5 Ingredient Meat Crust Pizza with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Mozzarella Cheese
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces mushroom , sliced
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian ground turkey
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Preheat a 12” nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook stirring often for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and continue to stir to wilt for 1 minute. Remove to a bowl.
- Using the same skillet, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and molding the turkey into a big ball, place it into the pan and spread out to the edges of the pan. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove the turkey pancake to a nonstick cookie sheet. Top with pizza sauce. Gently squeeze mushroom and spinach mixture to remove extra liquid, then place on top of pizza sauce. Top with mozzarella and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until mozzarella melts and lightly browns. If the mozzarella doesn’t brown after 15 minutes, turn the oven to broil on high and watch carefully until the cheese is lightly browned.
Food energy: 302kcal
Weight Watchers Points Plus 8
Saturated fatty acids: 5.78g
Total fat: 16.51g
Carbohydrate, by difference: 7.32g
Total dietary fiber: 2.82g
Total sugars: 3.27g
Products I used for this recipe – Calphalon Nonstick Bakeware, Baking Sheet, 2-Piece Set and Silicone Baking Mat. If you decide to make a purchase, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help support the cost of authoring this blog, so thank you!