Colorful rings of red pepper make the perfect edible container for baked eggs. Served with crumbles of queso fresco and slices of creamy avocado these Mexican eggs make an impressive morning meal.
Five Ingredient Fridays are all about challenging myself to make a tasty meal with a handful of ingredients, and I have to say, today’s Mexican baked eggs is one of my favorite Friday creations so far.
Cooking cage free eggs (I’m fortunate to have several coworkers with chickens willing to share) in pepper rings isn’t a new idea, but it’s one I’ve never tried before and was excited to give it a shot.
The key to keeping the egg white from oozing out from under the pepper rings is to make sure your rings are evenly cut and that you’re using a flat pan. You can see a little of the white escaped my peppers, but most of it stayed aboard.
This was a super fun way to serve baked eggs. The peppers are colorful and sweet and the eggs sprinkled with fragrant oregano, salt, and pepper has plenty of flavor, especially when they’re served with a crumble of queso fresco and avocodo.
That’s this week’s 5 Ingredient Friday recipe. If you give it a try be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you think. Have a terrific weekend!
5 Ingredient Mexican Baked Eggs with Red Pepper and Queso Fresco
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1/2 large red bell (capsicum) peppers, cut into 1/2" rings
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. The skillet needs to be hot to keep the eggs from running underneath the pepper rings. Place the pepper rings flattest side down so there is no room for eggs to leak under the rings.
- Drop an egg into each ring and sprinkle with oregano. Don’t worry if a bit of the egg leaks out. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes to start the egg setting on the bottom, then place the pan in the oven and cook for 5 - 10 minutes depending on how well done you like your eggs.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese and slices of avocado.
Food energy: 202kcal
Weight Watchers Smart Points 7
Saturated fatty acids: 4.63g
Total fat: 13.67g
Calories from fat: 122
Carbohydrate, by difference: 8.57g
Total dietary fiber: 4.93g
Total sugars: 3.66g
FYI – You might like this summer fresh baked egg recipe with fresh tomatoes and basil too.