If you’ve perused my recipe collection, you’ll find more than a few recipes adapted from Dr. Cookie’s Cookbook, but I have to say, this apple bread tops my list of most-liked.
I’m an oatmeal cookie fanatic from way back, so I often make variations of these applesauce cookies I found in Dr. Cookie’s book of treats.
And these fruity muffins with dried apricots and raisins were a kick to make. I used my brownie bar pan to shake things up a bit.
But it was this quick bread with shredded apples, cinnamon, and a hint of nutmeg that got rave reviews from my son, Coach Rimkus. It might be because during football season, he doesn’t find much time to eat, or it could be that this bread, spread with a thin layer of real butter, is sweetly satisfying.
One low calorie baking hint before I let you go.
The trick to making lower fat and calorie breads is to make sure you spray every inch of your pan with cooking spray, then dust with flour. When there isn’t a lot of fat in the batter, baked goods tend to stick, even when using non-stick pans.
Thanks Dr. Cookie! You came through again!
Serves 14 slices
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ? teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups apples , shredded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ? cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- ½ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan generously with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl add whole wheat pastry flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix together well.
- Add apples, vanilla, eggs, oil, brown sugar, half and half and water. Fold in until just mixed. Don't over mix or bread will be tough.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Food energy: 117kcal Saturated fatty acids: 0.37g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.90g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.63g Total fat: 1.90g Calories from fat: 17 Cholesterol: 13mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 22.34g Total dietary fiber: 2.53g Protein: 3.62g Total lipid (fat): 2.12g Water: 34.14g Ash: 0.87g Total sugars: 7.07g Calcium: 43mg Iron: 0.92mg Magnesium: 34mg Phosphorus: 102mg Potassium: 120mg Sodium: 147mg