This creamy and savory artichoke heart and mushroom casserole makes a terrific side dish for grilled chicken and steak.
I need to put more effort into the side dishes I serve my family. Getting them to eat their vegetables is tough enough, but when the energy I put into making them appealing is lacking – it’s even tougher.
This simple casserole recipe was easy to put together and toss in the oven. All I needed was a bag of frozen artichoke hearts, a package of mushrooms, a few pantry items, and a little imagination.
My extra effort paid off. This wasn’t just another side dish. When I served this vegetable packed casserole alongside my husband’s steak, it was the steak that was left on the plate this time!
Creamy and Savory Artichoke and Mushroom Casserole Recipe
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leek, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, chopped in small pieces
- 4 cups mushroom , thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese , shredded
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Cook leeks for 3 - 5 minutes to soften. Add garlic and artichokes. Cook another 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- 3. In a small saucepan over medium heat melt butter and then whisk with flour. Add milk, Herbes de Provence, and cook for 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly and thickened.
- 4. Layer artichokes and mushrooms in the baking dish and top with parmesan and panko. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 288, Weight Watchers Points 7
Total Fat: 14.46g
Total Carbs: 29.58g
Dietary Fiber: 5.89g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.