We aren’t big pasta eaters – heavy sauces and an abundance of cheese don’t have an appeal.
But thanks to many hours watching the Food Network, I’ve learned that I can make simple sauces that lightly dress a plate of pasta, and are calorie friendly too.
A simple splash of good wine, spicy herbs, a mince of garlic, fresh lemon, and fruity olive oil can make a plate of pasta with fantastic flavor.
Tuesday’s tasty tip . . . If you love pasta and you’re working on losing weight, or trying to stick with a healthy eating plan, just lighten it up a bit. You won’t miss the extra calories or heavy sauces, and your waistline will love you.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or quinoa pasta, cooked and drained, reserving 1 cup pasta liquid
- 8 ounces mushroom , sliced
- 1 cup asparagus, thin, ends removed and cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cod, cubed
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 small lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add oil. When the oil is hot add asparagus and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Add cod, garlic, thyme, oregano, red pepper, wine and lemon juice and zest. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until cod is no longer translucent in the center. Do no over-cook or the cod will fall apart and be dry.
- Toss with pasta, adding a splash of pasta water if the dish looks too dry.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Calories: 272 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7 Total Fat: 8.66g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 123mg Total Carbs: 28.06g Dietary Fiber: 3.30g Sugars: 3.59g Protein: 18.03g
If you’re looking for healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.