This creamy Mexican avocado soup recipe had a secret ingredient – tequila!
Have you bought avocados thinking you’d use them the next day, only to find them a few days later in the vegetable bin black and mushy? At this point all they seem good for is yet another bowl of guacamole and chips.
Why not make soup?
Fresh lime, bright green cilantro, and my secret weapon – sweet tequila is all it takes to turn an over ripe avocado into a delicious soup recipe. Don’t forget to add a little Mexican seasoning for kick, and then top your spicy soup with a few chopped tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.
Healthy cooking tip . . .
Don’t be afraid to add avocado to your dishes because you think they’re too fattening. Avocados are packed with a variety of nutrients that promote a healthy body including fiber, potassium, folate, vitamins B6 and C. They also contain a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid, that could lower cholesterol, that’s why they’re being called a “good fat” these days.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tequila
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons Mexican Seasoning
- 1 cup avocado, mashed
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add oil. Heat oil then add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- 2. Add broth, tequila, garlic, Mexican seasoning and lime juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 - 6 minutes to cook onion until soft.
- 3. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 4. Add cilantro and avocado. Using and immersion blender blend the mixture until until smooth, or if you like a few chunks that's fine too.
- 5. Move pan back to the stove and warm through over medium heat.
- 6. Serve with sour cream and chips if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 320, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Total Fat: 16.24g
Total Carbs: 22.35g
Dietary Fiber: 8.21g