You know I can hear you, right?
You’re wondering what would possess me to make lentil stew, when it’s springtime and people are looking for salads and grilling recipes.
Let me just say that as far as I’m concerned, anytime of the year is perfect for a stew recipe, especially when the main ingredients are lentils and bacon.
Who doesn’t like bacon!
My favorite thing about lentils is how quickly they cook up. theKitchn has a terrific tutorial, if you need a little lentil cooking advice.
Just a handful of ingredients make this a healthy dish to put on the table.
I cooked a few slices of bacon, and drained off the fat from the pan so I could toss in the usual players – onions, carrots and celery so they could absorb those crispy bits of bacony flavor.
Then I added the rest of my ingredients and simmered the pot for 30 minutes until my lentils and veggies were tender.
I even tossed in the tops from my carrots! They added a lovely fresh flavor and color.
If bacon doesn’t take you to your happy place, and you still want a spring-like salad recipe, then I make a mean lentil salad with fresh tarragon.
Now you can see why I don’t mind eating stew when everyone else is eating salads, can’t you?
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrot tops, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red lentils
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- Heat an extra large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until lightly crisped and browned. Drain the bacon on a paper towel.
- Pour off the bacon grease from the pan and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes to soften.
- Add one cup of vegetable broth, carrot tops if you have them, thyme, and garlic. Cook for another 15 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add remaining broth and bring to a boil. Then add lentils and cook another 20 - 25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with green onion.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 0.15g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.14g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.38g
Total fat: 0.67g
Calories from fat: 6
Carbohydrate, by difference: 47.62g
Total dietary fiber: 21.05g
Don’t forget to sign up for our free newsletter!
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.