Treat your family to this healthy and warming winter treat of baked apples with sweet dried cranberries and crunchy cashews.
In past blog posts I’ve shared the fact that I’m not much of a sweet eater. Put bread or chips near me and they’re gone in minutes, but sweets just aren’t my thing. That’ being said, there are a few desserts I love and one of them is baked apples.
Mike’s the family sweet eater, and since we’re watching our waistlines in anticipation of a trip to Maui in May, he’s been doing a good job of passing on the desserts. He deserves a treat, don’t you agree?
Rather than encourage him to break is healthy eating mojo, I decided to bake him a baked apple – a sweet, juicy apple with a hint of brown sugar, tart dried cranberries, and crumbles of toasted cashews. He’ll be happy, and so will I.
When I topped our healthy dessert with a dollop of Greek yogurt, this baked apple lover had to have a bite too. What about Mike you ask? He ate a baked apple every night until they were gone, then asked for more. Not bad for a low calorie treat, right?
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 4 - 1/2 apple each person
- 2 large apple
- ½ medium lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons cashew pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch clove
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a medium sized baking dish with cooking spray or line with foil. I used small, covered baking dishes.
- Cut apples in half, then using a melon scoop, scoop out the core and create a small well in the middle. Squeeze lemon juice over the apple to keep from browning and place in the baking dish.
- In another bowl combine the remaining ingredients and fill each well in the apples with 1/4 of the spice and nut mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until the apples are just tender. Don't over bake or they'll be too mushy. They'll continue to cook for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Top with your favorite yogurt.
Calories: 159kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4 Saturated fatty acids: 0.85g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.38g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.79g Total fat: 4.02g Calories from fat: 36 Cholesterol: -- Carbohydrate, by difference: 32.20g Total dietary fiber: 3.77g Protein: 1.67g
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.