When I was growing up, no matter how busy we were, my mother always put a healthy breakfast on the table. Some days it was Cream of Wheat with butter and cinnamon, some days it would be scrambled eggs and toast – or if we were really in luck, it was French Toast with powdered sugar and lemon.
Mom’s example stuck with me over the years, and to this day, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.
Tops on my breakfast list is this creamy baked oatmeal recipe filled with sweet raisins and walnuts. I’ll often add whatever fruit is in season just to shake things up a bit, then sprinkle a little honey and cinnamon on top for a real treat.
Healthy cooking tip . . . To save time in the morning, place dry ingredients like oats, cinnamon and nuts in a sealed container. When it comes time to make this easy oatmeal, you can toss in some fruit and milk, then allow it to bake in the oven while you’re getting the family ready for the day. Happy cooking!
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apple, finely chopped
- 2 cups almond milk, or low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅔ cup oat bran, or 1 cup oatmeal
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Combine ingredients in a square baking dish and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally.