Ground beef and nutty barley combined with goat cheese stuffed into colorful bell peppers make a hearty weeknight meal.
Our local Fred Meyer store has an outstanding bulk foods section with an amazing variety of dried fruits, nuts, and grains. They’ve dedicated a whole wall of space to my favorite ingredients – barley, quinoa, oats, almonds, walnuts, pepitas, and dark chocolate chips.
Since I only write down the code, often times the grains start to look like each other, and I end up having no idea what I’m using. Thank heavens for Google Images!
Such was the case for the barley I used in this stuffed pepper recipe. Barley isn’t on my list of go-to ingredients, so I had no idea what was in that plastic bag until Google identified it for me. You’d think I’d get smart by now and just write down the name on the tag along with the purchase code, but old habits die hard.
Healthy cooking tip . . .
This inexpensive, nutty grain has elevated itself on my list of favorite ingredients after it made a terrific filler for these sweet bell peppers. Since I had no idea how much they’d expand once they were cooked, now I have a gallon sized bag in the freezer waiting for the next turkey soup recipe. Thanksgiving can’t come soon enough!
Take advantage of your local grocery store’s bulk bins, and if they don’t have any, look for a new store to frequent. Bulk bins are a big money saver when it comes to dried ingredients like grains, cereals, fruits and nuts.
- 3 cups lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 3 cups barley, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 large red bell (capsicum) peppers, cut in half and seeded
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Combine all ingredients except peppers.
- 3. Stuff peppers with beef mixture and bake for one hour covered.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 434, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11
Total Fat: 16.75g
Total Carbs: 42.53g
Dietary Fiber: 6.99g