Before I get to today’s recipe, I want to thank Foodbuzz for yesterday’s Top 9 nomination. Friday’s steamed artichoke was a hit. What a wonderful Mother’s Day surprise!
On to this recipe for beer soaked chicken in a tortilla bowl. I bet that got your attention! Beer soaked chicken. Sounds good, huh?
Marinading chicken for a Mexican dish in beer or tequila combined with fresh lime juice gives it fantastic flavor and tenderness. I’ll often take chicken breasts and marinade them overnight with the recipe below, and then grill them. Delish!
Yesterday I thought it would be fun to make my own tortilla bowl with a whole grain tortilla and stuff it with my beer soaked chicken, a little low fat cheese, and a sweet and spicy mango salsa.
What a fun dish this was to make. Use your imagination and layer all your favorite Mexican ingredients. The next time I make chicken tortilla bowls I’m going to layer in some spicy refried beans and a little cool sour cream. Yum!
- Tortilla Bowl
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Chicken Marinade
- 4 ounces beer
- ½ small lime, juiced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch red pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed into bite sized pieces
- Mango Salsa
- 1 large mango, finely diced
- 2 large Roma tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper , minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 8 tablespoons low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Follow ehow.instructions to make a tortilla bowl.
- Combine beer, lime juice, chili seasoning, cumin, red pepper, and chicken in a bowl. Allow to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Combine mango, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat olive oil. Remove chicken from marinade and cook for 15 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- In each tortilla shell, layer 1/4 chicken, 2 tablespoons cheese, 1/4 salsa and sprinkle of cilantro.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 14.75g
Total Carbs: 46.61g
Dietary Fiber: 6.64g
Old Weight Watchers Points 10
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.