This time of year, in fact, most of the year, we love to grill. In my opinion, grilling foods brings out their best flavor, and cleaning up is a breeze.
We used our grill, instead of the oven, to cook the asparagus and the beets in this easy side dish. The dish turned out refreshing and very colorful.
I was out of fresh basil, but I had some frozen in the freezer. Don’t forget to freeze your basil before it goes bad and you can easily use it in dishes like this.
Recipe from Whole Living Magazine.
- 2 medium red beets (about 1/2 pound without greens), tails and about 1 inch of stems left intact
- 1 cup diced (1/4-inch pieces) peeled English cucumber
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap each beet in foil. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, trim beets and rub off skins with paper towels, or peel beets with a paring knife.
- Cut beets into 1/4-inch dice, and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in cucumber, shallot, vinegar, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan until hot. Toss asparagus with remaining teaspoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Grill asparagus, turning once, until tender, 4 to 8 minutes (cooking time will vary depending on thickness of spears).
- Arrange asparagus on a platter, and let cool completely. Finely chop basil, and stir into beet relish. Using a slotted spoon, spoon beet relish over asparagus.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 2.35g
Total Carbs: 10.85g
Dietary Fiber: 3.34g
Weight Watchers Points 1
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.