Are you getting ready to remodel your bathroom or build an entirely new one? If you are then you’re going to want to look at what is the best shower pan to use, right? You want to make sure that your bathroom is going to look great and function great, and that requires a little bit of research into just what goes into the ideal shower base.
The Best Shower Pan Reviews
1. DreamLine SlimLine Center Drain Single Threshold 32” x 32”
Available in white, black and biscuit, this stall shower pan offers a center drain location and a simple installation directly into the studs. Not only that but it comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty to help you feel more comfortable with its durability. This 32” x 32” shower pan for tile walls also features a unique bevel edge for a unique look.
- Standard size drain opening is designed to fit standard compression fit drains
- Slip-resistant floor is designed to keep users safer while showering
- Acrylic build is meant to keep surface from scratching or staining
- Shiny surface provides a sleek look for your bathroom
- Surface is designed for easy cleaning as needed to keep your bathroom looking great
- Low threshold design is meant to increase versatility for those with mobility issues
- The flat surface means that water can sometimes sit in the base without draining
- Requires a mortar bed underneath to increase durability and strength
2. DreamLine SlimLine Center Drain Single Threshold 32” x 48”
This 32” x 48” shower base for tile walls gives you a design that’s a little longer to offer a more comfortable showering experience. The center drain is designed to make it easier to connect into your existing drain line and the bevel around the exterior adds a little flair while also assisting with the draining process. Available in three colors, biscuit, white and black, this shower also comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty.
- Low profile design for the threshold is designed to aid those with mobility difficulties
- Width centered drain opening should allow for easy connection to existing drains
- High-gloss acrylic provides a sleek finish for your bathroom
- Non-slip surface is intended to aid in showering without slipping
- Packaged ideally for safe transport and quality delivery
- Installation should be an easy process for skilled professional
- Can be difficult to clean dirt and debris off non-slip surface
- ‘Centering’ of drain opening is not necessarily center as defined by US standards
3. Swanstone Veritek Center Drain
The Swanstone Veritek shower base is available in three different colors, including white, bisque and bone to match your personal preference. Not only that but it comes with a limited lifetime warranty so you can be comfortable knowing that it’s built to last. The material is also considered a moderate quality level that doesn’t cost as much as higher end materials.
- Shower is made of veritek without a surface coating which means it shouldn’t crack under use
- Floor has a pebbled surface for non-slip protection that shouldn’t hurt your feet
- All-in-one base means there shouldn’t be need for a liner underneath
- Simple design for a better fit into different bathroom designs
- Molded in center drain for easy connection to current drain system
- Multiple sizes available to fit different bathroom spaces and sizes
- Overall look isn’t as high end as some units
- Need construction film or other product to protect surface from scratching
4. Schluter Kerdi 48” x 48” Thin Shower Tray
The Schluter Kerdi Shower Tray is actually a stylish but thin tray that is simple to install for showers that have no curb. This makes it easier to adjust the shower tray because it’s actually able to be cut down. If your shower is smaller than 48” x 48” you can easily cut this panel and make it fit into the space you have. This makes it easier for anyone to use, and the inexpensive price point makes it convenient as well.
- Can be cut down to any size to fit your space
- Makes it easy to tile your shower
- Base pan is sloped to the center to improve draining
- Drain opening is centered into the floor of the surface
- Design provides a unique look for your shower floor
- Simple to use build-your-own-kit
- Requires more work than some designs
- Must be cut to fit your shower
- Requires a mortar base and support
5. DreamLine SlimLine Center Drain Single Threshold 42” x 42”
This sleek shower is built for smaller showers at 42” x 42”. It features a center drain and a low threshold that makes it easier for you to step down into it even with limited mobility. Available in three different colors that include biscuit, white and black, it’s made by a company that is well known for their overall quality and also provides a moderate price point that’s simple for just about any remodeling project.
- Low threshold for those with limited mobility
- Includes support for base surface of the shower
- Drain is centered to the middle of the shower to make attachment easier for existing drain system
- Unit fits into the shower space between the studs
- Includes limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Fiberglass reinforced for added durability
- Requires base installed underneath
- Acrylic can scratch or chip with extended use
- Textured floor can be uncomfortable for extended standing
6. DreamLine SlimLine Center Drain Single Threshold Shower 32” x 42”
Made by a company that is well known for quality shower bases and pans. It’s available in three different colors, including black, biscuit and white. This rectangular shower base features a limited lifetime manufacturer warranty and a standard drain design. It’s also created to sit firmly in the base of your shower stall to ensure a durable fit and a shower that you can really sit back and enjoy. This unit offers a rectangular shape to the design at 32” x 42” total.
- Single threshold design means that it’s more convenient for those with lower mobility
- No flexing within the base because of durable design
- Easy installation process
- Overall quality finish for the look of your bathroom
- Solid and built to specifications
- Provides a high-quality showering experience
- Does not include foam board for stability
- Requires bed of mortar for installation
- Drain can be difficult based on placement
7. Delta Faucet ProCrylic 60” x 32”
For those with a left-drain shower the Delta Faucet ProCrylic is designed to give you a large shower space with a safe design. It’s available in several different sizes and can be found in a right-drain and center-drain as well. The non-porous design also means it is durable and won’t leak, as does the waterproof materials and the frame design that attaches firmly to the walls between the studs. There’s even a waterproof lip around the edges to attach it.
- High-gloss surface for a sleek finished look
- Acrylic material is easier to clean than others
- Several drain options to fit your shower needs
- Supported with foam base, permanently attached
- Great look with edge and lip to protect from water leaks
- Low threshold design attaches firmly and works with low mobility
- Can be slippery when it gets wet
- Can be somewhat flimsy if not secured strongly
- Requires additional mortar for installation
8. DreamLine SlimLine Center Drain Single Threshold 36” x 36”
With this square shower you’re going to have a comfortable design that’s moderately sized. It’s available in three different colors alongside the limited lifetime warranty. It features a center drain that’s made to a standard 2” compression drain. It’s simple to install because of the single-piece framework and includes mortar to make the entire process much faster as soon as it arrives. The lip around the edge also creates a stylish look and provides for easier draining within the shower pan itself.
- Low threshold design for easy entrance and exit
- 3-wall alcove design for easy fit
- Fiberglass reinforced design for durability
- cUPC certified shower tray
- High-gloss surface provides a sleek impression
- Provides watertight seal along sides and rear
- Drain is not properly centered to the actual pan but only to the width
- Textured surface not as comfortable as some
- Drain is centered to width but not length
9. Schluter Kerdi 38” x 60” Off-Center Drain
The Schluter Kerdi shower tray is actually uniquely designed with a tile look to provide a beautiful appearance. If anyone is looking to create a beautiful bathroom oasis this shower base is a way that you can create exactly that, with an off-center drain to fit your current plumbing. The look gives your guests the impression that you’ve spent even more tiling the floor of your shower, but without having to go through the hassle of actually doing so. Instead, you just lay this simple pan and it’s ready to go.
- Surface has a stylish design over the traditional shower pan look
- Sloped design to increase drainage of water
- Designed to prevent mold and mildew with firm seal
- Simple installation process to increase easy usability
- Can be trimmed down to fit smaller shower spaces
- Easy to work with support team as needed
- Floor must be supported with additional mortar base
- Primarily designed with waterproof band and Styrofoam
- Texture not ideal for some
10. Woodbridge Tileable 60” x 34”
The Woodbridge shower base here comes in a sleek black color that will look great in any bathroom. It has a center mounted drain that will provide easy draining during and after showering. There are also several different sizes of shower pans available to fit your space. This is definitely one of the more unique options that we’ve provided here and will offer you and your family a very sleek look that is unmatched with anything you’ve likely seen from your friends and neighbors.
- Pre-pitched and sloped for easy installation and draining
- Scratch and impact resistant for better durability
- Includes stainless steel drain plate with brushed nickel coloring
- Pan fits comfortably in shower space and tiles well around
- Clean and simple process for installation
- Easy to communicate with customer service for overall care
- Requires additional mortar for base over what’s supplied
- Drain is already fused into the base
- Smooth surface not ideal for all users
What You Need to Know
Measuring for the Right Pan Size
The first thing you want to do is take a closer look at the actual size of the shower base for tile walls that you need. This means you’ll need to go into the bathroom itself and look at the space where you’re going to put the shower. If you already have a shower in that space or if you’ve already roughed in where you want the shower to go this is going to be an easier process. You can simply measure what’s already there. Keep in mind that there is a small amount of excess between the inside edge of the shower pan and the studs where your new shower base is going to attach. You’ll want to account for this when you measure.
Shower Pan Materials
What is the material that you want for your shower pan for tile walls? There are a few common materials for a shower pan that you’ll want to take a closer look at.
- Fiberglass – This is one of the most popular types of shower base for tile walls styles because it’s inexpensive but relatively durable. Fiberglass is actually a mixture of woven glass fibers and polyester resin and it provides a product that is usually reinforced and ready to go. It can stain pretty easily and it’s also going to need replacing more quickly.
- Acrylic – This is another of the most popular versions because it’s a little more durable and it’s going to be relatively inexpensive and easy to care for. That’s because it pretty well does what it needs to on its own and it’s treated to hold its shape. In fact, Acrylic is heated and then stretched to make sure that it’s not going to warp over time.
- Tile – Tiles are going to create a beautiful look and they’re definitely going to be something in your bathroom. In fact, you’ve probably seen a number of different amazing oases that use tile for their shower base. The downside is that these are going to be a lot more expensive and time consuming to install. Not only that but they’re difficult to keep clean, the grout starts to wear away and you’ll need a very strong and level substructure to install them properly.
- Composite – Composite materials are generally the best option, though they’re not always the most commonly used. That’s because they tend to be durable and strong. They’re lightweight and they’re able to repair as needed, with no problems. What some don’t like is that they can be more expensive to get up front, but if you don’t have to worry about replacing it or repairing it as frequently that higher cost can definitely pay for itself in the long run.
There are a number of different threshold styles that you can choose for a shower base, but it’s going to depend on your specific needs and the needs of others in your household.
- Tub/Shower Threshold – If your shower is also going to be a tub then you’re going to have a higher threshold. These are not ideal for those with mobility problems because they’re difficult to get in and out of.
- Low Profile – If you have someone with a mobility issue in the house or you want to make sure that anyone with mobility problems will be comfortable in the house in the future you may want to take a closer look at low profile showers. These generally have a lip but the lip is very low, generally only a few inches.
- Barrier-Free – These types of thresholds are actually level, which means there is no actual threshold. Anyone who needs to get into the shower can simply walk into it in the same way that they would walk across the floor.
Pay attention to the way you want to orient your shower and the way that the drain system is already set up in your bathroom. If you haven’t roughed anything in yet or hooked up plumbing you may have the freedom to choose any shower pan you want and frame out the drain and plumbing to match it. If you already ran the plumbing or it was already set up you’ll want to choose a pan that fits what’s already there to avoid any excess charges.
When it comes down to it, you’re going to want to know what is the best shower pan to use for tile walls and that’s definitely the Woodbridge Tileable Shower Base. It’s a beautiful option, and a unique one at that. With the comfortable size and overall quality, you’re definitely going to see how this one beats out the competition and delivers you a stunning bathroom in no time at all.
- The Best Baby Bath Tub UK
- The 7 Best Inflatable Hot Tub UK
- Cleaning an Indoor Shower and Bath Tile Using a Pressure Washer
- How to Reset Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
- The Best Whirlpool Tubs Consumer Report
- The Best Soaking Bathtubs
- The Best Alcove Bathtubs
- The Best Towel Bars For Bathrooms
- The Best Steam Shower Generator
- The Best Acrylic Bathtub