I’m a big fan of veggie burgers. When I saw this recipe for black bean and quinoa burgers submitted byI had to try it. Quinoa is a high protein grain that is fluffy and nutty, so it really adds great texture to the burger, and the black beans are creamy and high in fiber. What a great combination!
I have to say that you really need a food processor to get the right consistency, but if you have one, the recipe comes together quickly. I also added a squeeze of fresh lime juice to each burger as it was cooking just to add a burst of freshness.
Being a Weight Watchers fan, I served my burger without the bun, and with a salad. My husband’s burger was served with the works. We were both very happy!
- * 1 cup quinoa
- * 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- * 1/2 cup red onion, grated and squeezed dry
- * 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- * 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- * 2 garlic cloves, minced
- * 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- * 3/4 teaspoon salt
- * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- * 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- * 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1. Rinse quinoa under cool water for couple of minutes in fine sieve to remove bitterness. Put in rice
- cooker with just over 1 and 1/3 cups water and set to cook.
- 2. Transfer to food processor fitted with metal blade. Add beans, onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, jalapeno, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- 3. Form into six 1/2-inch thick patties. Place bread crumbs in shallow bowl. Press patties into crumbs, turning to coat both sides.
- 4. In non-stick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties in batches, turning once, for 8 minutes or until browned.
Serving Size 1 (125g)
Recipe makes 6 servings
Calories from Fat 82 (28%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 9.2g 14%
Saturated Fat 1.3g 6%
Monounsaturated Fat 5.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 344mg 14%
Potassium 496mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 41.6g 13%
Dietary Fiber 8.1g 32%
Protein 10.7g 21%
Weight Watchers Points 7
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.