Black beans and quinoa are the base for these healthy veggies burgers. Skip the bun and serve them with a sweet peach salsa for a healthier meat-free meal.
Have you heard of Meatless Mondays? Meatless Monday has been around since approximately 2003, and was started as a way to improve your health by abstaining from meat for a day. The idea was to help reduce your risk of cancer, heart problems and obesity, at the same time you would also be supporting our environment by reducing your carbon footprint.
Sounds like a good thing to me and these veggie burgers fit this theme perfectly.
I certainly agree that eating less meat during the week is a great idea, but you won’t find me becoming a vegetarian. Not that I think there’s anything wrong with it, it’s just that I like my chicken too much to give it up completely.
But after I made these easy veggie burgers with fresh peach salsa the other day, I knew they’d be perfect to share for a Meatless Monday. Even my meat crazy husband ate two!
I love the creaminess of black bean burgers, so black beans and quinoa seemed like a good place to start. Be sure to use a food processor to get the right consistency. These burgers are moist and flavorful thanks to jalapeno, cilantro and cumin – perfect with a juicy peach salsa.
If you want to know more about Meatless Mondays, visit Meatless Monday. It’s an amazing resource for meatless recipes, including explanations behind the movement to eat meat free once a week.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Shake It up!
No quinoa? Swap it for brown rice. No Peaches? Swap mandarin oranges or mangos. No white onion? Swap green onions or red onion.
- 2 cans black beans, low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 large peaches, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons jalapeno, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- Combine beans, salsa, lime juice, jalapeño, cumin, cilantro, bread crumbs and egg in a food processor and combine. The mixture will be loose.
- In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients and chill.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray generously with cooking spray. Mold black bean mixture into four patties. The mixture is loose, so score it in the bowl into quarters and scoop a quarter of the mixture into your hands. Gently mold into a patty and slip into the pan. Shape in the pan.
- Allow patties to cook for 6 - 7 minutes per side until nicely browned on each side.
- Serve with salsa.
Calories: 447kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10 Saturated fatty acids: 1.16g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.09g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.08g Total fat: 6.34g Calories from fat: 57 Cholesterol: 52mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 74.85g Total dietary fiber: 19.74g Protein: 22.75g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.