Even those of us who love to cook need a break from the kitchen, so Sunday mornings we head off to Starbucks for coffee and a treat.
That leaves us with Saturday mornings to figure out what’s on the morning menu. On this particular Saturday, blueberry bread made an appearance with our morning jolt of caffeine.
This cook can’t make a typical quick bread with blueberries and nuts in the bowl, she has to add a twist to keep things interesting. This why you’ll find fresh lemon and sweet, woodsy thyme in this bread recipe.
A few recipes ago, I told you about The Flavor Bible. It’s “The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs.” If you get a chance be sure to pick one up.
The combination of ingredients for this blueberry bread recipe were inspired by this cook’s favorite resource. It would never have occurred to me to add thyme to a sweet bread.
Before I head of to work this lovely Monday morning, I need to announce the winners of last week’s NuNaturals giveaway.
Congratulations to Juliana, Angie, Dionne and John. I’ll be contacting you for your mailing information so Ron can ship off a box of his fantastic stevia products. Enjoy!
That’s it folks. Have a terrific week!
Serves 12 slices
Shake it up! Blackberries would work well in this bread too. Raspberries would be too tender and most likely fall apart.
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small lemon juice, juiced
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bread pan generously with cooking spray and dust with flour. (I used a medium sized baking dish for fun.)
- Combine eggs, almond milk, sugar, butter and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Combine flour and baking powder in another bowl and then gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture until combined.
- Fold in blueberries and thyme.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 50 - 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Food energy: 171kcal Saturated fatty acids: 1.49g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.75g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.46g Total fat: 2.70g Calories from fat: 24 Cholesterol: 22mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 33.67g Total dietary fiber: 3.00g Protein: 4.76g Total lipid (fat): 3.05g Water: 48.73g Ash: 1.47g Total sugars: 16.07g Calcium: 121mg Iron: 1.11mg Magnesium: 35mg Phosphorus: 139mg Potassium: 147mg Sodium: 161mg
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”