My second thought was to amp up my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe. I wanted a healthy oatmeal cookie I could eat for breakfast with that first cup of steaming coffee.
For me the perfect breakfast cookie includes lots of protein, a smidgeon of fat, and fiber to keep me satisfied for at least few hours.
The problem with oats was that they don’t pack as much protein punch as quinoa. If you’re watching your carbs, it’s true that they have a higher carbohydrate content, but I’ll take that carb and protein blast to get me started in the morning.
So I thought, why not replace my morning oatmeal with a quinoa packed breakfast cookie.
Just because I liked these quinoa packed breakfast cookies, didn’t mean they’d pass the taste test, so I passed them off as oatmeal cookies to my husband and sister-in-law.
“Blog worthy?” I asked.
“Definitely!” was the response.
So here you are! Blog worthy breakfast cookies. Take some to work and enjoy!
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- ¼ cup Tropical Traditions Gold Label coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ¾ cup carrots, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine quinoa, coconut oil, eggs, brown sugar, honey and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder and cinnamon, then mix well.
- Add raisins, nuts and carrots and fold in until well combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the scoop with cookie dough and level off. Then place on a cookie sheet 3" apart, and gently press into a bit larger circle.
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until lightly browned.
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.