I firmly believe that absolutely every person – big or little, should start their day with a nutritious meal like this egg white breakfast wrap with spinach and feta.
That doesn’t mean you grab a latte from the local barista and consider it breakfast, or that you wait until 10:00 am to decide to break out the bagel and cream cheese from the company frig. Breakfast could be a bowl of wholesome oatmeal, a fruit smoothie with creamy Greek yogurt, or maybe it’s the breakfast wrap that I used to order at Starbucks.
When I say that I used to get my breakfast wrap at Starbucks, that’s because I realized I was a paying premium price for something I could easily make at home.
Whole wheat tortillas, cage free eggs, spinach, and low fat feta cheese are ingredients I always have on hand, so all I needed was tomato sauce with a hint of garlic and I could eat this healthy breakfast any time I liked.
Taking a cue from Starbucks, I make a few extra and save them for an easy breakfast during the week. They warm up quickly in the company microwave.
See? I’ve saved myself about $3.00 per wrap, and my version tastes just as good. Enjoy your breakfast!
Healthy Cooking Tip . . .
I used egg whites to reduce the calories in this breakfast wrap recipe, but you could easily use one whole egg and one egg white to up the nutrition and still keep the calories in check. Eggs are a terrific source of B vitamins, protein and selenium. Nutrients that protect our immune systems, regulate thyroid hormones and build healthy muscles, skin, hair and nails.
- 2 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce, with 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons low fat feta cheese, or low fat cheese of your choice
- 1. Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat with 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil. Add 2 egg whites and top with a handful of spinach. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until egg is cooked through.
- 2. Spread tomato sauce on each tortilla, then top with the egg and spinach. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons feta (or any low fat cheese you prefer). Fold the front third of the wrap over the top, then fold the remaining third of the wrap over the top.
- 3. Repeat step number 1 for the second wrap.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: 255, Old Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Total Fat: 7.30g
Total Carbs: 30.11g
Dietary Fiber: 1.12g
Looking for healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes? Subscribe here!
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.