My husband is a patient man.
For the past three years he’s supported my endless hours of work on this blog, so when the Fairy Hobmother paid a visit to offer me an Amazon gift card, I knew who really deserved that card . . .
Mike – the avid fisherman and camp cook.
Mike is a pro when it comes to setting up camp. He has tables for eating, tables for cooking, cooking equipment and an abundance of food organized and ready to go.
Funny how that organization doesn’t translate to the garage and his office, but I digress.
The only thing missing from Mike’s setup was the perfect camp stove. He had Grandma Karen’s old barbeque and an odd assortment of burners. What he really needed was something that didn’t take up room in the camper, with loads of versatility.
As soon as the Fairy Hobmother sent me my Amazon card, I promptly set my husband on a shopping quest for the camp stove of his dreams.
With an impending fishing trip in a few weeks to the Hoh River in Washington state, we wanted to practice with his new setup before the big day.
A simple skillet of chicken breasts and yams seemed like the perfect place to start, and were about all we had left in the frig for the week.
Thank you Fairy Hobmother! You made my husband a very happy man, and his wife didn’t have to cook dinner either.
That’s what I call a real treat!
Serves 1 chicken breast and 1 cup yams
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 teaspoons chicken seasoning blend
- 4 cups yams, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thyme, minced
- Prior to leaving for camping, cut up the yams into large chunks and microwave them for 5 minutes to blanch them so they will cook in the same amount of time as the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken and yams with seasoning blend and thyme.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over a medium flame until the pan is hot. Add olive oil and sear chicken for 3 - 5 minutes each side until nicely browned. Remove from skillet and add 1/4 cup water to the skillet and the yams. Top yams with chicken and cover skillet with foil.
- Turn flame down to medium-low and cook chicken and yams for approximately 25 - 30 minutes until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and yams are tender.
Calories: 340 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8 Total Fat: 5.49g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 145mg Total Carbs: 42.78g Dietary Fiber: 6.70g Sugars: 0.78g Protein: 26.51g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.
If you’re looking for healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received the products mentioned above for free in the hopes that I would write a review on this blog. I only recommend products or services I use and believe will be beneficial for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”