This easy creamy soup is calorie friendly too with colorful broccoli and potatoes.
Yikes! Emergency root canal!
My poor husband has been in pain for two weeks. Mike’s a pretty tough guy, but what was supposed to be a simple dental procedure, turned into two weeks of pain with a temporary crown, and finally a root canal.
Thank heavens, that’s over!
My dental patient needed a warm and creamy soup to help him recover from his painful dental experience, so I decided to lighten up a creamy classic – broccoli and cheddar cheese soup.
Why should this soup be heavy, when it could be light and full of cheesy flavor? Simply swap heavy cream for potato, and full fat cheddar for light shredded cheddar cheese. Now we have a light, creamy, cheesy soup and I have a much happier hubby!
- 1 quart low sodium free range chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 package broccoli slaw
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1. Combine all ingredients except cheddar cheese, buttermilk and parsley in a large dutch oven, and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Using and immersion blender, or a blender, puree soup until creamy. If you use a blender, be sure to puree in batches with care to keep soup from exploding from your blender.
- 3. Add cheese and buttermilk and blend well.
- 4. Top with parsley and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable, and a powerhouse of nutrition. Vitamins C, K, A, folate, fiber, manganese, tryptophan and potassium help the body fight bladder, ovarian and prostate cancer. Broccoli is good for detoxification and stomach health; as well as cardiac and vision health. Wow!
Spinach is another powerhouse of nutrition. Spinach contains iron for energy, and vitamins C and A, folic acid and B6 to help your heart. Spinach has 13 different flavonoid compounds that function as antioxidants, and as anti-cancer agents.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 1.57g
Total Carbs: 4.80g
Dietary Fiber: 0.75g
Weight Watchers Points 1
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.