Don’t you think weeknight meals should be a simple affair?
I don’t know about you, but the last thing I want to do when I get home at 5:00, is make a complicated meal. Don’t get me wrong, it’s obvious that I love to cook, but I save my play time in the kitchen for the weekends.
That’s why I’m such a fan of one pan meals like this quick to the table chicken and chard sauté.
Chunks of chicken breast, colorful chard and quinoa are an irresistible combination when combined with a light sauce of fresh basil and lemon.
All that’s left to give this healthy recipe a little pizzaz is a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and it’s set for the table.
Before I head off to work, I’ll leave you with one of my favorite healthy cooking tips.
Pre-cook large batches of quinoa, brown rice, barley, black beans, garbanzo beans etc., and freeze them in portion sized containers. They make quick work of weeknight meals like this.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Shake It Up!
Chunks of cod or shrimp would be a delicious alternative to the chicken here. No chard? Try kale or spinach. If you can't find quinoa, brown rice would be just fine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, raw and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chard, stripped from the stem and chopped
- 1 ¼ cups quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup basil, finely chopped
- ½ large lemon juice
- ½ large lemon zest
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and cook for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Cook for another 5 - 8 minutes until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add remaining ingredients except Parmesan cheese and basil. Cook 3 - 5 minutes until chard starts to wilt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add basil and parmesan cheese.
Calories: 264kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Saturated fatty acids: 2.72g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 4.01g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.82g Total fat: 7.56g Calories from fat: 68 Cholesterol: 61mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 18.85g Total dietary fiber: 3.16g Protein: 25.98g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.