My favorite past time is lounging on my couch with a favorite cookbook.
I could spend hours thumbing through How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, and I find endless inspiration in any of the Weight Watcher’s Cookbooks.
But these days I find it difficult to spend my hard earned money for a new cookbook, when a quick search on the internet produces tasty family and friend tested recipes.
All I have to do is type a few ingredients into my browser’s search bar and I come up with plenty of recipes to choose from. That’s exactly how I found this easy chicken casserole from Kalyn’s Kitchen.
Kalyn and I are veterans of the waist watching war.
While we took different approaches to weight loss – Kalyn lost weight with the South Beach Diet and I used Weight Watchers – we’ve both kept the weight off with the help of our commitments to sharing healthy recipes on our respective blogs.
When I saw Kalyn’s chicken and brown rice casserole, I knew exactly what I’d be making with my leftover chicken. I had cartons of baby kale and mushrooms waiting in my frig, and brown rice already cooked and ready to go in the freezer – I was in business.
Thanks for the recipe Kalyn! I had one happy family when this easy casserole hit the table.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a medium sized casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms a kale. Saute for 5 - 6 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Combine broth, sour cream, thyme, poultry seasoning, cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add vegetables, chicken and rice and fold to coat ingredients with sauce mixture.
- Pour into a casserole dish and bake for 20 - 25 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.
Calories: 340kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8 Saturated fatty acids: 5.74g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 4.75g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.40g Total fat: 11.89g Calories from fat: 107 Cholesterol: 82mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 22.25g Total dietary fiber: 2.78g Protein: 33.30g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.