Chicken Paillards with Red Pepper Sauce – sounds fancy doesn’t it?
According to Wikipedia, ” Paillard is an older term referring to the quick cooking of thinly sliced/thinly pounded pieces of meat. Most often this is referring to veal or chicken, but beef can be used.”
Okay – now it doesn’t sound so fancy, but I sure felt like a fancy cook there for just a few minutes!
I have to admit this chicken recipe took some time to get on the table, but it was worth every minute spent in the kitchen.
Fresh herbs and lemon zest added zip to the panko bread crumbs that coated my chicken paillards. And freshly roasted red peppers, tomatoes and garlic puréed in the blender made a quick sauce for this company impressive chicken recipe.
If you’re short on time, I’m told that your local butcher will cut up the chicken for you (not a bad idea if you ask me), and you can easily pick up a jar of roasted red peppers to simplify the sauce.
Don’t forget a sprinkle of tangy feta cheese before you plate this fancy meal!
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 large red bell (capsicum) peppers, cut in half and seeded
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup parsley
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups beet greens, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green olives, finely chopped
- 8 tablespoons low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 2. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place peppers cut side down on the cookie sheet and surround with tomatoes. Spray vegetables with cooking spray and roast in oven for 30 minutes until tender and the skin of the peppers is wrinkled and a little browned. Allow to cool, then puree in the blender with garlic and a pinch of red pepper. Set aside.
- 3. Combine panko, salt, pepper, oregano, lemon zest and parsley in a baking dish.
- 4. Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create two thin breasts, then cut those pieces in half. You should have 8 thinly sliced pieces of chicken breast. Pound pieces to flatten just a bit to an even thickness.
- 5. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Dredge chicken in panko and pat the crumbs firmly in the chicken. Place in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes each side to lightly brown. Chicken should be cooked through, so if you need a few more minutes then go for it. Remove chicken to a platter.
- 6. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and heat the oil, then add the beet greens. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until greens just barely start to wilt. Remove to a platter and top with chicken.
- 7. Add olives to red pepper sauce and warm sauce in the microwave, then place on top of chicken breasts with feta cheese. Serve immediately.
Calories: 439, Weight Watchers Points 11
Total Fat: 16.23g
Total Carbs: 30.62g
Dietary Fiber: 6.52g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.