During the past few weeks I’ve asked readers to fill out this survey.
I wanted to know what you’re looking for when it comes to healthy, low calorie recipes. The most common response was that as healthy eaters, you’re looking for quick fix meals like this chicken panini sandwich.
The best way I know how to deliver on the request is to start with fresh ingredients that pack big flavor, so we just need a handful to keep things simple.
I completely get it.
By the time I get home from work and the gym, it’s easily past six o’clock, and I’m not raising kids anymore! During my raise the kids days, we weren’t home until well past dark.
To make life easier, a few years ago Grandma Karen gave me a panini grill.
That simple kitchen appliance makes the difference between slapping together two pieces of bread and serving a cold sandwich, or a sandwich that makes a hearty meal.
These Ham and Swiss Panini sandwiches with Mushrooms and Kale are a terrific example of a hearty meal between two slices of bread. We even squeezed super food, kale, into the sandwich!
And if you’re looking for a meat free sandwich, this panini with portobello mushrooms has a meaty texture and savory flavor from sun dried tomatoes and Colby cheese.
Today’s chicken panini recipe uses a store purchased roasted chicken to keep things simple.
You might think buying roasted chicken an indulgence, but I believe by the time I buy the whole bird and use every bit for meals, it’s a bargain. Just keep in mind that you can expect them to be higher in sodium, so don’t add extra seasoning to your sandwich.
We added freshly sliced Granny Smith apples, low fat Swiss cheese, thinly sliced chives, and a sprinkle of fresh thyme to this week’s sandwich masterpiece. The apples make the sandwich, so don’t leave them out.
Thanks Grandma Karen for the panini grill! It gets more than it’s share of use, as you can see.
Enjoy everyone, and have a terrific week!
Serves 2 sandwiches
Shake It Up! Turkey works equally as well in this sandwich, and if cheddar cheese is your thing - go for it!
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, 100 % whole wheat, nutty breads work best
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 4 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
- 4 slices low fat swiss cheese
- ½ large apple, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, strip thyme from stems
- Preheat a panini grill, or alternatively, a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray generously with olive oil cooking spray.
- Spread mustard on each slice of bread, and then place a slice of cheese on each piece of bread.
- Layer one slice with apples, chicken, chives and thyme and place the second slice of bread with cheese on top.
- Place in the panini maker and cook until cheese melts. If you're using a pan, place sandwiches in the pan and press down firmly with a spatula. Brown on one side, then flip and brown on the other side, until cheese is melted.
- Remove sandwiches from the pan and allow to sit for 2 - 3 minutes to cool, then slice and serve.
Food energy: 335kcal Saturated fatty acids: 2.64g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.36g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.80g Total fat: 5.80g Calories from fat: 52 Cholesterol: 55mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 33.52g Total dietary fiber: 5.63g Protein: 35.97g Total lipid (fat): 6.74g Water: 159.35g Ash: 5.28g Total sugars: 9.85g Calcium: 614mg Iron: 1.98mg Magnesium: 89mg Phosphorus: 590mg Potassium: 500mg Sodium: 589mg
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”