I do, that’s for sure! We eat chicken at least twice a week – if not for dinner, than certainly for lunch. I need as many chicken recipes as I can collect.
This chicken dish adapted from All Recipes is an example of the perfect chicken recipe. It includes a sweet and spicy glaze of maple syrup, grainy mustard and fresh thyme that can easily serve double-duty on all kinds of vegetables.
It was perfect with my sweet potato wedges, and even better with these baked beets.
See what I mean about double-duty? All I had to do was double the sauce to roast with my vegetables, and I had a colorful meal.
A rainbow of colors means healthy and delicious, so I’m feeling pretty darn good about dinner tonight. Happy cooking!
I doubled the sauce in this recipe and reserved half as a glaze for the potatoes and beets. Simply cook the sauce down for 5 minutes in a saucepan, then pour over vegetables. Roast the vegetables in the oven along side the chicken.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 chicken legs, thighs, or breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard, or spicy brown mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet, cooking 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from the pan and add broth, syrup, thyme and garlic. Bring to a boil and scrape up chicken bits.
- Add vinegar and mustard and cook for another minute.
- Return chicken to the pan and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and return pan to the stove over medium high heat and cook sauce until thickened.
• Calories: 264 • Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 • Fat: 4.4g • Saturated fat: 0.9g • Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g • Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g • Protein: 39.5g • Carbohydrate: 14.2g • Fiber: 0.2g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.