When it comes to summer salad recipes, I’ve decided this rustic chicken salad is my next picnic contribution.
Large chunks of summer fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms and avocado took no time to toss into a big bowl with bits of spicy onion.
And a low calorie vinaigrette spiked with fresh oregano, tart lemon and sweet local honey serves double-duty as a marinade for these roasted chicken breasts.
You could skip the chicken and serve this as a side salad, but we turned this easy salad into a meal by chopping our roasted chicken into the mix, then adding crumbly feta cheese.
Do you see the jar in the background of this picture? I save jars to make dressings and marinades. I love tossing ingredients into the jar, then taking out all my frustrations by shaking the jar until my dressing is frothy and mixed well.
It works to perfection.
Seattle is expecting another sunny weekend, so this rustic salad with a viniagrette rather than mayonnaise dressing is a good choice for a weekend barbecue. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
Have a terrific weekend!
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons oregano, fresh, and finely chopped
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 large English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- 10 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 ½ large avocado, seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine first ten ingredients in a jar or bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour ½ the dressing in a large zip lock bag and add chicken breasts. Marinade for 30 minutes up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a non-stick, oven-safe skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat and add chicken breasts. Brown for 3 - 5 minutes per side, then place in the oven to finish off cooking for approximately 20 minutes. Chicken timing will depend on the thickness of the breasts, so check often. Chicken should not be pink in the thickest part.
- Remove chicken from the oven and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the salad. Gently toss together with remaining dressing.
- Add feta cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11
Saturated fatty acids: 6.90g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 13.68g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.80g
Total fat: 23.38g
Calories from fat: 210
Carbohydrate, by difference: 20.60g
Total dietary fiber: 6.51g
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.