Rachael Ray and I have one thing in common – we both tend to burn the bread, as you can see in this photo of my slenderized chicken stew.
If you aren’t familiar with Rachael Ray, she’s a famous Food Network star notorious for creating a nice char on anything that goes under the broiler. From the pictures you see here, I have the same misfortune.
All kidding aside, one of my favorite comfort foods is chicken pot pie.
When I was growing up, my mom would buy the single serving pot pies you could get from the freezer section at the grocery store. Us kids loved them. We adored the buttery pie crust and savory filling with all those mushy vegetables.
What a treat that was!
This skinny chicken stew recipe does a nice job of recreating those lovely memories without the extra calories or artery clogging fat I can’t afford.
All I had to do was replace the pie crust with a crusty (or slightly burned if you prefer) whole grain roll, and add a savory sauce loaded with chunks of tender chicken breast and fresh vegetables.
So today’s tasty tip is to watch the broiler, and find ways to skinny up your favorite recipes. You won’t miss the extra calories, and your scale will thank you in the morning.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms , sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water, reserve 1/4 cup
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup green beans, frozen
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch + remaining 1/4 cup water
- 2 large whole wheat roll, split
- 4 tablespoons low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Saute onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in oil until softened on medium heat in a large saucepan. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients (except cornstarch, rolls and cheese) and simmer on medium for 20 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.
- Add cornstarch to 1/4 cup water and stir to combine. Add to pan and stir gently, bringing mixture to a boil. Cook until thickened.
- Turn on oven broiler and top each half of a roll with one tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Broil until lightly browned.
- Serve rolls on top of chicken stew.
Calories: 259 Total Fat: 4.40g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 488mg Total Carbs: 23.94g Dietary Fiber: 4.95g Sugars: 5.75g Protein: 29.84g
If you love to chat about healthy cooking and nutritious food, or if weight loss or weight maintenance is your goal, I’d love to chat with you. Just find me at Wizpert any evening or weekend. I’d can’t wait to hear from you!
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.