Fall is the quintessential time to serve your family the most perfect of comfort foods – a pasta casserole with tender chunks of chicken and zucchini.
These descriptions mean that I can conjure up a combination of any ingredients that suit my fancy, throw them in a deep dish, bake my masterpiece in the oven, and call it a casserole.
How easy is that!
This easy casserole recipe combines woodsy rosemary, fresh lemon juice and sour cream to make a light and flavorful sauce for pieces of tender chicken, zucchini and fun little pasta shells.
The ingredients for this healthy casserole cook up quickly on the stove before you pour them into your baking dish, so chop your ingredients ahead of time.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 8 ounces chicken breast, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely minced
- 3 cups zucchini, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cup quinoa small pasta shells, cooked and drained (or small flour pasta shells)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Spray an 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.Then add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened, then add garlic, rosemary, chicken and zucchini. Cook for another 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- 4. Combine chicken and zucchini mixture with remaining ingredients, including pasta. Spread in a baking dish bake for 20 minutes until dish is heated through and the cheese is melted.
Healthy Cooking Tip . . .
Casseroles don’t have to be calorie busters. Bulk up your casseroles with lots of vegetables and lean protein, then use herbs and spices in place of cheeses and heavy sauces to pack them with flavor. Light sour creams and yogurts make a lower calorie base for creamy casseroles.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 243, old Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Total Fat: 10.78g
Total Carbs: 11.49g
Dietary Fiber: 1.99g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.