When our kids flew the coop and it was just the two of us, I had a tough time scaling down the size of my meals. That was several years ago, and I still cook enough for four people – if not eight to ten!
Thus the need to use up leftovers.
And what better way to use up leftover pork than in a salad I can take to work the next day.
I chop as many veggies as I can find in the frig into my salad recipes, then top them with a simple dressing packed with chopped tarragon.
Any leftover meat would easily work in this chopped salad. Take your pick from those bits of steak you barbecued last night, or the chicken from yesterday’s take out.
That half a cup of chopped broccoli, celery, carrots, or mushrooms you were going to throw away? They can all be your low calorie salad for the next day too.
Nothing goes to waste here. Pack it all into your Tupperware and take it to work the next day. Your coworkers will drool over your healthy lunch.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 4 each 1-1/2 cup servings
20 minTotal Time
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup red bell (capsicum) peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ? cup walnut pieces
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cooked pork, cubed
- ½ medium avocado
- ½ cup tarragon, loosely packed leaved, chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ cup low fat feta cheese
- Combine chickpeas, red pepper, broccoli, red onion, walnuts, parsley and pork in a large bowl.
- In a blender combine the avocado, tarragon, vinegar, lemon juice, water and honey. Blend until smooth.
- Add dressing to chickpea mixture and fold in feta cheese.
Calories: 480 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 12 Total Fat: 18.64g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 301mg Total Carbs: 31.09g Dietary Fiber: 9.03g Sugars: 11.07g Protein: 44.54g
If you’re looking for healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.