These muffins from Eat Better America are the perfect way to start a busy Sunday.
This Sunday’s list of chores includes weeding the yard. Not a small task since we currently live on half an acre surrounded by large garden beds! I don’t mind, it’s great exercise. I won’t need the treadmill today, that’s for sure.
I used whole wheat pastry flour in the batter for this easy muffin recipe, and couldn’t tell the difference in texture when they came out of the oven. They were light and airy – full of plump, sweet blueberries. The crunchy brown sugar topping really takes these muffins to a whole new level.
Have a terrific Sunday, and don’t forget to stop and smell the roses!
Serves 12 muffins
- 2 tbs packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Muffin Batter
- 3/4cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen organic blueberries
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place paper baking cups in muffin cups.
- In small bowl, stir together topping ingredients.
- In large bowl, beat milk, oil, honey and egg until well blended. Stir in flours, baking powder and salt just until dry ingredients are moistened. Don’t over-mix.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and muffins are golden brown.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Berries in general are high in manganese, vitamin C and fiber. Berries are naturally high in phytonutrients called tannins that are considered to be responsible for antioxidant activity.
Amount per serving: Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 230mg; Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 10g); Protein 4g, Weight Watchers Points 3
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.