Okay, it’s true. I eat a lot of chicken. I believe a chicken a day keeps the doctor away.
I suppose that’s probably not true, but chicken breasts are a great source of lean protein, inexpensive, and so versatile that they are always on my list of go to meals.
This recipe came from Real Simple. You can sign up on their website for a recipe a day sent to your email. I love that!
I can’t eat peanuts right now, so I replaced the peanuts with toasted sliced almonds, and used colorful red apples, instead of green.
Such a refreshing, crunchy salad with the apples, fresh mint and basil. It would be a fantastic dish to take to a picnic, brunch, or luncheon. You name it. Your friends will be impressed, and it was so simple! This recipe is already one of my favorites.
- * 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- * 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- * 1 teaspoon black pepper
- * 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- * 1 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- * 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- * 4 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- * 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled, if desired), diced (I used red apples)
- * 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (I used almonds)
- * 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- * 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1. I pounded my chicken to an even thinness, and then I grilled my chicken with salt and pepper and put them in the freezer to cool. Real Simple suggests you Put the chicken in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1/2 inch. Add 3 teaspoons of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper gently simmer. Cook 10 minutes, and then put the chicken to a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes.
- 2. Combine lime juice, vinegar, and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Toss with scallions and apples.
- 3.Dice the chicken and add it to the apple mixture along with the peanuts, mint, basil, and the remaining salt and pepper.
Calories 269; Calories From Fat 27%; Fat 8g; Sat Fat 1g; Cholesterol 68mg; Sodium 730mg; Carbohydrate 20g; Fiber 4g; Sugar 13g; Protein 31g
Weight Watchers Points 4
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.