There a number of ways to make a creamy broccoli soup without using heavy cream . . . or in the case of this cream of broccoli soup recipe, no cream at all!
You could replace the cream with low fat sour cream like we did with this Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup . . .
Or you could use fat free evaporated milk like we did in this creamy cauliflower soup recipe.
You might even use potatoes to get that creamy texture like we did in this easy cream of broccoli soup.
The key to making this a broccoli soup worth remembering is a fresh herb topping with just enough bacon bits to give the soup a smoky flavor without adding too many extra calories.
See? It is completely possible to make creamy soup without all the extra calories and fat in heavy cream. Simply add a few potatoes to the mix.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups russet potatoes, cubed
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup green onion, white part sliced
- 2 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup parsley, minced
- 4 tablespoons bacon bits, crumbled
- Add vegetable stock, potatoes, broccoli, green onion tops, garlic, bay leaves and sage to a large pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and gently simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove bay leaves and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine parsley, green onion ends in a bowl.
- Top soup with a sprinkle of parsley and onion and a tablespoon of bacon bits.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3
Total Fat: 1.92g
Total Carbs: 21.91g
Dietary Fiber: 4.13g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.