Just the thought of celery soup lights you on fire, doesn’t it? It makes you want to pick up your spoon, dip it into the bowl, and taste every last drop.
Probably not – but you’d be disappointed if you skipped the opportunity.
This low calorie soup isn’t anything like the cream of celery soup your mother used in her casserole recipes. This soup is light and refreshing.
Celery, apples and thyme simmer in vegetable broth until they are completely tender.
Then they’re pureed to a creaminess that is only enhanced by a bit of fat free half and half.
Finished with a splash of lemon juice and topped with crunchy pepitas, this soup is just the opposite of what you would expect from a cream of celery soup.
Serve it hot for dinner, then as a chilled soup the next day. Either way, it’s equally delicious.
Have a terrific weekend!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups celery, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 medium apple , chopped
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons thyme, leaves
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 8 tablespoons pepitas
- Preheat large soup pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and allow to heat up, then add onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from burning, then add celery, apples, vegetable broth, water and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 25 - 25 minutes until celery and onions are very tender.
- Remove from heat and puree in a blender, or with an immersion blender until very smooth.
- Stir in half and half milk and lemon juice, and return to pan to heat through.
- Top with pepitas and serve.
- Alternately, chill over night and serve the next day as a chilled soup.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 1.66g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.58g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.64g
Total fat: 7.88g
Calories from fat: 70
Carbohydrate, by difference: 22.26g
Total dietary fiber: 4.70g
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.