Are you sorry to see asparagus season coming to a close? This slender creamy roasted asparagus soup will end the season in delicious style.
Maybe not, if those tender stalks of vegetable goodness don’t float your boat, but my boat loves them. After all, if you’re looking for a low-calorie meal, asparagus soup is your friend.And if you’re an asparagus lover like myself, then you have your favorite varieties.
I like the thicker stalks when I want the asparagus to be the star, as it is in this recipe for honey and garlic roasted asparagus.
Other dishes work better with thinner stalks like these roasted potatoes with asparagus and blue cheese vinaigrette.
But if you’re looking for an ultra low calorie meal to balance out your day, then this roasted asparagus soup will definitely put you back on the healthy eating track.
The best thing about this colorful soup is that it only takes a handful of ingredients to make it creamy – delicious.
We roasted a pile of asparagus in the oven until they gave off a nutty fragrance, then tossed them in the blender with a jar of sweet roasted red peppers, vegetable broth, fresh woodsy thyme and spicy garlic.
All it took was a quick heat on the stove with a little fat free half and half and we were in business.
If you happened to notice the dippers on top, then I’ll give you a hint – sliced french bread toasts spread with creamy goat cheese topped with fresh thyme.
Just saying you might want a few on the side.
Have a terrific weekend!
Serves 6 each 1 cup servings
- 38 ea asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 - 12 ounce jar roasted bell peppers, alternatively 2 roasted bell peppers
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss asparagus spears with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and roast for 20 - 25 minutes until very tender.
- Combine asparagus, bell peppers, vegetable broth, thyme and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan and heat through over medium heat. When soup is hot, add half and half.
Calories: 87kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 2 Saturated fatty acids: 0.70g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.54g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.49g Total fat: 3.73g Calories from fat: 33 Cholesterol: -- Carbohydrate, by difference: 11.77g Total dietary fiber: 3.36g Protein: 3.87g
Don’t forget to sign up for a weekly newsletter with all the lastest recipes and cooking tips, not to mention recipes from my favorite healthy food bloggers!
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.