Super fresh colorful stuffed bell peppers make the perfect container for couscous, chicken and mushrooms.
This is an odd time of year for me. It’s not winter anymore (thank God!), and it’s not really spring or summer either, so when it comes to food choices, I’m conflicted.
Some days when it’s dark and rainy I want comfort food. I’m craving a creamy soup with a nutty whole grain roll, or a divine pot roast surrounded by colorful root vegetables. Other days, when Seattle is sunny and warm, I want to grill up a pile of barbecued chicken, or maybe even serve up stuffed bell peppers like these.
Last week was one of those in-between times. I wasn’t in the mood for comfort food, and I wasn’t in the mood to grill. I wanted something different. Rooting through the pantry I found a box of couscous, a package of chicken, and sweet bell peppers.
Perfect plan. I’ll make a batch of stuffed peppers!
I love the flavors in Mediterranean recipes, so I tossed some oregano, cannellini beans, capers and tart feta cheese into the mix and stuffed the whole shebang into my peppers.
I have to say, I loved the colors in this meal. These Mediterranean stuffed peppers satisfied my food cravings in a big way, and I even had one left over for lunch the next day. Can’t beat that!
Serves 8 or 4 large servings
- 1 ½ cups couscous, cooked, whole wheat preferred
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallot, finely chopped, equaled about 3/4 cup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 cup chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup capers, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup low fat feta, crumbled
- 4 large red bell (capsicum) peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 400.
- 2. In a large non-stick pan add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 5 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms and oregano and cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, beans, chicken, capers, feta and couscous. Combine.
- 3. Stuff pepper halves with couscous mixture in a large casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 35 - 40 minutes until peppers are softened.
- 4. Serve sprinkled with a few crumbles of feta cheese and parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 165, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4
Total Fat: 4.35g
Total Carbs: 20.30g
Dietary Fiber: 3.90g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.