These stuffed mushrooms are loaded with lean ground beef, spinach, cheese and a spicy barbecue sauce.
I have to put up with a lot of teasing about the amount of food I buy when I’m planning a barbecue. In my defense, most of the women I know live in fear that a guest might possibly go without. Like myself, they buy that extra block of cheese, platters of vegetables, or in my case, one too many packages of ground beef. Thus the need to make stuffed mushrooms.
Not being one to waste food, I decided to make use of those forgotten burgers cooked and ready to go on the grill, and stuff them into the pile of leftover mushrooms hanging out on the vegetable platter.
While I’m at it, I might as well add the leftover cheddar cheese into the mix too, along with the bun I’ve turned into breadcrumbs.
My husband called these the perfect stuffed mushroom appetizer recipe – his favorite vegetable packed with his favorite burger. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I have to say I agree.
- 9 large mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 ½ cups extra lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 slices light whole wheat bread, processed into breadcrumbs
- ¼ small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 slices low fat cheddar cheese, crumbled into chunks
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Combine beef, breadcrumbs, onion, barbecue sauce and spinach in a bowl. Add cheddar cheese.
- 3. Clean out the stem and gills from the mushrooms with a small, sharp edged spoon. Stuff mushrooms with meat mixture. Place each large mushroom in a muffin tin and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake mushrooms for 8 - 10 minutes until cheese melts and mushrooms are just tender.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: 109, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3
Total Fat: 2.92g
Total Carbs: 8.03g
Dietary Fiber: 1.55g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.