This warming vegetable beef soup is filled lean ground beef, mushrooms, carrots, and black beans.
Ground beef isn’t on my dinner menu very often. It’s not that I don’t eat beef – a juicy steak with horseradish sauce tops my list of favorite meals. I just don’t think to add it to my grocery list.
The fact that lean ground beef can be as calorie friendly as ground turkey or chicken, makes this vegetable beef soup recipe a healthy, hearty way to serve it up.
Our local Albertson’s sells Laura’s Lean Ground Beef – a product that is antibiotic and hormone free. It’s a bit more expensive, but when I add it to this savory soup, I feel good about serving steaming bowlfuls to my family, and stretch my grocery dollars at the same time.
Healthy cooking tip . . .
Soups and stews are the perfect way to use up those not for prime time vegetables in your vegetable bin. Simply chop and drop into a pot of low sodium broth with a few beans for added protein and fiber, then freeze in lunch size containers for a quick and healthy work day meal.
Serves 10 - 1 cup servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef, crumbled
- 2 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh minced
- 2 tablespoons marjoram or oregano, fresh minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 cups low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained, or dried, soaked and precooked.
- 1. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat with olive oil. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes until softened. Add ground beef and cook until beef is cooked through - about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT sour cream and parsley. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3. Serve with sour cream and parsley.
- Serve with light sour cream and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 193, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4
Total Fat: 5.02g
Total Carbs: 18.44g
Dietary Fiber: 6.43g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.