This cheesy spaghetti squash makes a healthy meat-free meal.
My mother has been touting the wonders of spaghetti squash for years. She loves the flavor and texture, and often serves it naked, with just a sprinkle of seasoning. Mom’s provided instructions on how to cook her favorite squash, but I’ve never been successful. It usually comes out mushy, or too crunchy – not the texture of spaghetti I picture in my head.
I think I’ve finally perfected this cooking method now. After carefully monitoring my squash as it cooked, when I removed it from the microwave it was just tender. No mush! Yahoo!
Once I rejoiced in my success, I decided my victory over cooking this squash wouldn’t be complete unless I produced a spectacular finish – cheese sauce. A low-calorie cheese sauce would add the finishing touch to my simply microwaved squash.
I finally did it! I served a spaghetti squash my mom would be proud of. Can’t beat that!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 ¼ cups low fat milk
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- ½ cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Poke squash with a fork 5 times. Microwave on high for 12 minutes. Allow to cool to the touch and cut in half. Scrape out seeds only, the gently spread spaghetti squash strands with a fork inside the shell.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat add butter and onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add water if needed to keep from scorching. Then flour and stir very quickly, adding milk, 1/2 cup cheese, and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Pour 1/2 of the milk mixture over one shell, then the remaining half over the other shell. Sprinkle each shell with panko and then remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until nicely browned.
- Cut shells in half and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 183, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Total Fat: 8.15g
Total Carbs: 16.72g
Dietary Fiber: 1.35g