When I served my husband this egg white frittata his immediate response was, “Where are the eggs? Why is this frittata green?”
Suffice it to say, we lived it up this football partying weekend, so a lean and green meal was on the menu for Sunday breakfast, and skipping the egg yolks saved a few precious calories.
Before you nix the idea of a “green frittata” hear me out. This frittata recipe has a secret weapon . . .
Laughing Cow Cheese.
This calorie friendly cheese is creamy, and completely delicious.
But watch the salt! Laughing Cow contains a significant amount of sodium per serving, so don’t think you need to add salt to the mix. Wait until you serve your green frittata, and let folks with crazy salt buds sprinkle to their hearts content.
After one bite, Mr. Mike relaxed. His frittata was completely edible thanks to onions, mushrooms, thyme and Laughing Cow cheese. He even asked for seconds and left a piece of toast on his plate!
Happy, healthy cooking!
Shake It Up! Not counting calories? Use whole eggs, or half whole eggs, and half egg whites. No kale? Spinach works just fine. No Laughing Cow cheese? Any low fat cheese will work just fine, simply use 1/3 a cup to keep calories in check.
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 12 large egg whites, whipped with a whisk, or 10 ounces of commercial eggs whites
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 3 ea Laughing Cow Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Preheat a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add onions, mushrooms and kale. Cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Remove from heat and add Laughing Cow cheese and thyme. Stir to melt cheese into the vegetables, then spread evenly over the pan.
- Add egg whites and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
Calories: 123kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3 Saturated fatty acids: 1.88g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.82g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.30g Total fat: 3.00g Calories from fat: 26 Cholesterol: 10mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 8.71g Total dietary fiber: 1.36g Protein: 14.77g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.