An easy recipe for Italian Wedding Soup you’ll be making for years to come!
If you really want a people-pleasing recipe ask friends, family, and coworkers. I guarantee you’ll come up with a dish you’ll have in your recipe box for years to come.
Recently my coworkers, Maija and Steve, decided to share their favorite crockpot recipes for lunch. They take turns each week preparing family favorites, then bring them in for a well-deserved break in the day.
You know I had to insert myself into their fun lunch gathering, and it didn’t take long for me to find this Italian Wedding Soup to share with you!
Italian Wedding soup isn’t a family tradition in Steve’s home (he’s not Italian, at least not that I can speak to). And when I asked him for the origin of his recipe, he brought in a page from a pamphlet he’d found at a local grocery store – the name of the store faded into oblivion.
After one attempt in the kitchen, this classic soup is now well-loved in my home too.
Not only did Mr. Mike devour several bowls without complaint about leftovers, but Grandma Karen plopped her ingredients into a slow cooker to serve to her significant other (yes, Grandma has a significant other), who was equally happy with his meal.
So what’s the secret to this popular Wedding Soup recipe?
A handful of ingredients, including pizza sauce. Yep! Pizza sauce. Pre-cooked turkey meatballs (I made my own), chicken broth, pizza sauce, spinach and pasta shells.
Now you know, and with perfect timing for those holiday shopping evenings when you need a quick meal. (Unless you’re Grandma, and decide to turn this Wedding soup into a masterpiece.)
FYI – This recipe works well in a slow cooker as well! Cook the meatballs as directed, then toss the remaining ingredients in a slow cooker on the 8 hour setting.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 28 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mini pasta shells
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 8 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine ground turkey, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Using a small ice-cream scoop, form into meatballs and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until meat is cooked through.
- In a large stock pot add broth and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high and add pasta and meatballs. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes until pasta is al dente. Add spinach and pizza sauce and cook another few minutes until soup is heated through.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10
Saturated fatty acids: 5.36g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.42g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 4.15g
Total fat: 14.93g
Calories from fat: 134
Carbohydrate, by difference: 23.04g
Total dietary fiber: 2.38g
Total lipid (fat): 16.40g
Total sugars: 2.60g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.