Okay, maybe my pizza isn’t better than yours, but it’s definitely better than anything the local pizza joint serves up.
I could order pizza out, or pick one up at Papa Murphy’s and bake it at home, but I prefer to make my own. That way I control the ingredients, sodium, fat and calories.
I’m such a control freak!
I admit I took advantage of a little store-bought convenience and picked up whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe’s. I’m not a big fan of pre-cooked pizza crusts. They usually exit the oven hard and chewy.
Besides, at $1.99 each, I can buy a few packages and pop them in the freezer. All I have to do is thaw them in the frig while I’m at work, then let them rest on the counter while I chop vegetables.
My pizza was ready in less than 40 minutes, and if you ask me, it looks just as cheesy delicious as any restaurant version.
Even better, instead of wasting time waiting for the restaurant to produce my pizza, I was folding a load of laundry and emptying the dishwasher.
Can’t beat that!
- 1 large whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup shallot, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomato, julienned
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add shallots and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Then add tomatoes, vegetable broth, mushrooms, oregano, kale, garlic, lemon zest and white wine. Add a pinch of dried red pepper. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes until liquid is almost gone and vegetables are tender.
- Roll out pizza dough and place on a pizza pan. Spread out ⅔ of the vegetables and spread with ½ the mozzarella cheese. Top with the rest of the vegetables and cheese.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until dough is cooked through and cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
Here’s wishing you and your family a happy, healthy, new year! Happy cooking!
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 294, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7
Total Fat: 7.53g
Total Carbs: 40.46g
Dietary Fiber: 5.76g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.