Shave calories from the classic Eggplant Parm with this super easy baked version with thick slabs of eggplant and nutty parmesan cheese.
I find people’s food preferences fascinating. My coworker despises tomatoes. She can spot the tiniest speck of red in her food. My husband believes that hummus and curry taste like soap, and I’m not a fan of eggplant. The texture is spongy and sometimes mushy. I like my vegetables with bite.
That is until I tried this Eggplant Parmesan recipe I’ve adapted from my favorite magazine in the eating world – Eating Well.
Each saucy, cheesy bite of this lovely purple veggie was flavorful and tender. No mush here!
My rendition of Eating Well’s recipe required a few adjustments. It seems that if you purchase large eggplants, then you’ll need to double the recipe. But then how would I know that. After all, I don’t eat eggplant!
- 2 large eggplant, sliced in 1/4" slices
- 6 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs, or plain bread crumbs and two tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 ½ cups low sugar spaghetti sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray two non-stick baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray. Spray a medium sized baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Whip eggs with water and place in one dish, then place panko bread crumbs and half the Parmesan cheese in another dish.
- Dredge eggplant in egg then in the panko and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake another 15 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and layer half the eggplant on the bottom. Spread another 1 cup sauce on top of eggplant and sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese.
- Add the remaining layer of eggplant, spread with remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
Calories: 286 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7 Total Fat: 7.92g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 929mg Total Carbs: 35.08g Dietary Fiber: 6.21g Sugars: 10.01g Protein: 19.05g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.