Do you sense the holidays approaching?
If you’re the cook in the family, I’ll bet you’ve already started planning the menu. What’s more, if you’re anything like me, the hunt for holiday worthy side dishes is on.
Our family has more than one good cook, so the competition to come up with a dish that’s never been done before is fierce.
This year I’ve decided I’m going to be the Side Dish Queen. My contributions will be unique and innovative, like this farro and asparagus pilaf.
Having used farro in a Mediterranean salad in the past, I knew it would be a nice change from brown rice in this easy pilaf recipe.
The asparagus was definitely a colorful, holiday-like addition, and with only six ingredients to deal with, my side dish was on the table in under 30 minutes.
The combination of farro, asparagus and grilled cod was a hit, but would it work with a roasted turkey, and will it make me the Queen of Side Dish Recipes?
Time will tell!
Shake It Up! You can switch out farro with quick cooking barley or brown rice. Broccoli chopped into small pieces could replace the asparagus during the months when asparagus is quite expensive.
- 3 cups Trader Joe's 10 minute farro, cooked according to package directions
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups asparagus spears, chopped (thinner stalks)
- ½ large lemon , juiced
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and onion. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes to soften.
- Add asparagus and cook another 3 - 5 minutes until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Add farro, lemon and parsley. Cook another 2 - 3 minutes to warm through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 304kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8 Saturated fatty acids: 0.51g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.49g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.40g Total fat: 4.89g Calories from fat: 44 Cholesterol: -- Carbohydrate, by difference: 56.42g Total dietary fiber: 9.28g Protein: 12.28g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.