My friend, Anne, has a husband who loves to cook as much as I do. Recently, she brought in a tasty soup he had made with fennel and leeks.
If you are looking for a light and refreshing soup for the summer months, his Fennel Blossom soup is it. What’s more, for weight watching folks, you can’t beat the calories in a cup of this mouthwatering soup.
The recipe calls for fennel pollen or fennel flowers, but I made it without them and it was still fantastic. I served the soup chilled with grilled lamb chops. What a perfect meal for my wheat and dairy free diet. I didn’t feel in the least deprived!
- 2 cups leeks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 cups fennel , diced
- 2 tsp green fennel, or fennel flowers or fennel pollen
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cook the leeks in butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it wilts. Add the fennel and chicken broth. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Stir in fennel flowers, fennel pollen, or fennel greens.
- 3. Puree soup in batches until smooth, then return to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- 4. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or chilled sprinkled with fennel pollen or flowers.
Total Fat: 3.63g
Total Carbs: 7.37g
Dietary Fiber: 1.88g
Weight Watcher’s Points 1