I have my own holiday season and I celebrate it every summer when leafy green, fragrant basil is in season. Every dish I make during my self-appointed holiday is a tribute to this favorite herb.
During most of the holiday season, lovely basil is added to marinara sauces, Caprese salads and tops just about any pizza you could imagine. However, this year I wanted to kick my holiday up a notch so I decided to use it in a salad dressing!
All kidding aside, I truly love this time of year when I can grow fresh basil. I use every last, lovely leaf until the season is gone – then I freeze the rest. Kalyn’s Kitchen has terrific directions for freezing fresh basil.
This easy chicken wrap recipe uses a salad dressing that is so fresh that you’ll happily make extra for the next day.
Healthy cooking tip . . .
Take advantage of fresh herbs whenever possible in place of added salt and fats. I don’t have a lot of luck with window sill herb gardens here in Seattle, but during the summer I can easily grow basil, thyme, oregano, mint and chives. Anyone can grow rosemary, and who doesn’t love roasted potatoes and rosemary! The rest of the year I find that small packages of herbs from the local market are truly affordable since it takes just a few tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs to make the difference in a dish.
- 4 ea FlatOut Flat Bread Italian
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cubed
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup Lowfat Greek yogurt
- ? cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup basil, packed, then chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup chives
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 8 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with oil. Toss chicken with 1 teaspoon oil, 2 tablespoons garlic, Italian seasoning and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Cook chicken thoroughly in oil for approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large bowl combine yogurt, 1/8 cup lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, Dijon mustard, basil leaves and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Mix well.
- 3. Add lettuce, chives, tomatoes, Parmesan and cooled chicken. Toss to coat.
- 4. Divide salad into 4 servings. Lay the flatbread out facing away from you lengthwise. Place 1/4 mixture in the first half of the wrap and fold over.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: 237, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Total Fat: 7.58g
Total Carbs: 9.24g
Dietary Fiber: 2.69g
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com. The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.