Super cheesy spinach quiche with a crusty quinoa crust.
Can you guess where I am?
I’m lounging by the pool on the amazing island of Maui. Mike and I are taking a long awaited vacation with friends, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a few recipes in the hopper to share with you while I’m swimming with the turtles!
When it comes to egg dishes, a basic recipe for quiche is a must have in your recipe collection.
This easy ham and spinach crustless quiche is an example of a terrific way to skinny up a quiche, but there are times when a crust is nice to contain all that eggy goodness.
Why not try a quinoa crust?
This quinoa crust was a breeze to make. All I did was take cooked quinoa, flour, fresh rosemary and finely chopped onion, press the mixture into a pie plate and bake it until it was firm.
When my crust was ready to go, I whipped up my basic quiche filling and popped it back into the oven for a few minutes to set the eggs.
Doesn’t this look like a creative alternative to the typical fat laden pie crust?
I’m off to explore the island. Last night we watched the turtles from the shore, popping their heads up out of the water. If I don’t come back, you’ll know why.
Have a terrific week!
- 2 cups red quinoa, cooked
- ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Mix
- ½ tablespoon rosemary, finely minced
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ? cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 medium roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a medium sized pie plate with sloping sides with cooking spray.
- Combine quinoa, flour, onion, 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl.
- Using the flat side of a spoon, spread the mixture out into the pie plate and up the sides. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Combine spinach, tomato, 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl.
- In another bowl combine eggs, milk, cheese and whip. Stir into spinach mixture and pour into quinoa crust.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If crust starts to get too brown, lightly cover with foil until egg sets.
Food energy: 282kcal Saturated fatty acids: 2.57g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.43g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.18g Total fat: 6.18g Calories from fat: 55 Cholesterol: 212mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 29.65g Total dietary fiber: 3.48g Protein: 21.08g
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.