When it comes to making work day breakfasts, creativity is not my thing.
But the weekends are a different story.
When Saturday morning arrives, I have time to play in the kitchen. These days I’m working on perfecting my pancake and waffle making skills.
The family knows that pancakes and waffles just aren’t my thing. There isn’t a pancake that I can’t burn to a crisp, and waffles turn out chewy and flavorless. It’s not a pretty sight.
But not this time!
This time I had help from my long time friend, The Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook.
With a little practice, I had a tender waffle that was perfectly cooked inside and out. And the addition of sweet bananas and chia seeds gave my waffle recipe a boost of nutrition too.
Do you spot the guy in the background?
That’s Mike, who is patiently waiting for something else besides oatmeal and eggs. If he’d been willing to pose for a picture eating his waffles, I would have shared, but he’s a bit camera shy in the mornings.
Enjoy your weekend!
Serves 12 squares
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (or canola oil)
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar , I used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (you can omit these if you don't have them)
- 2 ½ cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour Mix, or whole wheat pastry flour for a non-gluten free waffle
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Combine banana, coconut oil, milk, eggs, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and chia seeds.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Gently fold the two together. Don't over mix or waffles will be tough.
- Drop into waffle wells according to the manufacturers instructions.
Calories: 172kcal Weight Watchers PointPlus 4 Saturated fatty acids: 1.38g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.37g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.79g Total fat: 2.53g Calories from fat: 22 Cholesterol: 18mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 32.32g Total dietary fiber: 2.02g Protein: 4.74g