My last blog post featured Banana muffins using NuNaturals More Fiber as the sweetener. The company is sponsoring a giveaway for four readers who will receive a 50 count box of NuStevia Packets, and a 2 ounce bottle of NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia Liquid. Vanilla stevia has been my coffee sweetener of choice this week, and I’ve been pleased with the flavor.
If you’d like to receive a box of NuStevia packets and NuNaturals Stevia Liquid, simply leave a comment. On Friday, June 3rd, we’ll put your name in a hat and draw four lucky winners. The contest and giveaway is open to Continental U.S. residents, only.
Enough about blog giveaways , and on to Grandma Karen’s taco salad.
If you haven’t had a taco salad recently, then you’ve been missing out. In the days when I was making meals for my kids, a taco salad was first on the list of meal requests for the week. It provided protein, vegetables and dairy all in one big bowl. It was affordable and a terrific way to get my kids to eat their vegetables!
It’s too bad I lost Grandma’s picture of her taco salad – but this picture of Grandma’s friend, Bob, with her nachos sure is sweet, isn’t it? If her salad looked as good as her nachos, then I’m guessing it’s a salad worth serving the family.
- 1 pound extra lean beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 can green chiles
- 8 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- 8 tablespoons low fat Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1 small lime
- 8 ounces lettuce, package, shredded
- 1 cup red bell (capsicum) peppers, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper , chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 2 large Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add beef and 1/2 the packet taco seasoning and 1/2 the can green chiles. Cook until meat is cooked through and then drain fat off.
- 2. In a small bowl combine remaining green chiles, sour cream, lime and thousand Island dressing.
- 3. In a large salad bowl layer 1/3 of the lettuce, meat, peppers, onions, beans, corn, cheese, avocado, tomato and cilantro. Repeat with remaining salad ingredients and serve with the dressing on the side.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 398, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10
- Total Fat: 15.16g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Sodium: 519mg
- Total Carbs: 33.17g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.53g
- Sugars: 9.21g
- Protein: 32.32g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.