Being the veggie lover I am, I can make a meal out of a side dish any day, including this green bean salad.
This colorful and simple salad is perfect hot or cold.
Fresh green beans are steamed until just crisp-tender, then tossed with freshly roasted red peppers. Just add a few slivers of spicy red onion, pungent garlic, and peppery parsley to finish this healthy side dish.
- 4 cups green beans , trimmed
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1. Place trimmed green beans in a large steamer basket in a covered pan with 2" water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and steam for 8 - 10 minutes until beans are crisp-tender.
- 2. Plunge beans into a large bowl filled with cold water and ice. Allow to cool and then drain in a colander. Remove to a large bowl.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Green beans are high in vitamins K, A, and C, as well as manganese and fiber. Vitamin K is important for bone health, and a serving of green beans provides your daily requirements for this crucial vitamin. They also provide protection against atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease.Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory effects that may reduce the symptoms of asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.24g
Total Carbs: 12.31g
Dietary Fiber: 5.16g
Weight Watchers Points 1
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.