If you celebrated Memorial Day yesterday with bounties of food lovingly assembled by family and friends, then I’ll bet your ready for a bit lighter fare like this fresh green salad.
But this isn’t any old green salad, this salad has a secret ingredient in the vinaigrette.
If you’ve ever watched Rachael Ray, a celebrity food chef, then you’ve heard her say that a pinch of nutmeg adds that something hmmmm that people can’t place, but adds a finishing touch to the dish.
In this salad it’s a pinch of cinnamon in the vinaigrette. Apples and cinnamon are a classic combination, so why not take advantage of it?
A sweet and spicy apple vinaigrette, chopped apples, crunchy walnuts, and a crumble of goat cheese.
You won’t miss those Memorial Day cheeseburgers with this satisfying salad, but if you need a little protein, I’ll bet leftover grilled chicken will fit the bill.
Enjoy and have a terrific week everyone!
Shake It Up! Pears would be equally delicious in this salad with blue cheese and spinach in place of the romaine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon apple jelly
- ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, cored and cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons walnuts, pieces
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- Whip olive oil, vinegar, apple jelly, Dijon mustard and a pinch of cinnamon in a bowl.
- In another bowl toss chopped apples with lemon juice.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl and top with green onion, walnuts, apples, and goat cheese.
- Pour vinaigrette over the top and gently toss.
Food energy: 203kcal Saturated fatty acids: 3.72g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 4.64g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 3.35g Total fat: 11.70g Calories from fat: 105 Cholesterol: 11mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 19.21g Total dietary fiber: 3.85g Protein: 6.26g Total lipid (fat): 12.59g Water: 144.20g Ash: 1.29g Total sugars: 12.29g Calcium: 86mg Iron: 1.51mg Magnesium: 35mg Phosphorus: 127mg Potassium: 346mg Sodium: 91mg